Many people have painful experiences of constipation. Constipation not only affects their health, but also makes life inconvenient. It is really an annoying disease.
What is constipation?
Constipation refers to the fact that the stool stays in the intestinal cavity for too long, and the water is absorbed excessively, which makes the stool too dry and hard, causing difficulty in defecation. Constipation is actually a complex symptom, not a disease. It mainly refers to a decrease in the frequency of bowel movements, a decrease in stool volume, dry stool, and laborious defecation. It is necessary to judge whether there is constipation based on the characteristics of the stool, my usual bowel habits and whether it is difficult to defecate. If more than 6 months is chronic constipation.
Causes of constipation
1. Slow bowel movement: Lack of B vitamins, endocrine disorders, nutritional deficiencies, etc., can affect the entire gastrointestinal motility, slow the passage of food, and cause constipation.
2. Lack of defecation motility: frail old age, chronic illness, severe malnutrition, prolific women, etc., resulting in weakened diaphragm, abdominal muscles, and levator ani muscle contractility, weak defecation, and constipation.
3. Psychological factors: emotional tension, sorrow and anxiety, high concentration of attention on a certain job, or mental panic and other strong stimuli, leading to disorders of the cerebral cortex and autonomic nerves, causing the disappearance of bowel movements.
Insufficient bowel irritation: Too little diet or insufficient fiber and water in the food, insufficient irritation to the intestines, dry stools and difficulty in passing out.
4. The irritability of the intestinal wall is weakened: After diarrhea, the nerve sensor cells in the intestinal wall can resist diarrhea and maintain normal physiology, and can often reduce the excretion activity and cause constipation. In addition, long-term use of stimulant laxatives can also reduce the irritability of the intestinal wall, leading to aggravation of constipation.
What are the hazards of constipation
1. Causes perianal diseases: Constipation makes it difficult to defecate, and the pressure of the intestine will increase greatly. When the anorectal is in a state of long-term compression, it will cause the appearance of hemorrhoids, anal fissures and other anorectal diseases, which endanger human health.
2. Cause mental symptoms: Chronic intractable constipation can cause anxiety, irritability, insomnia, depression, and even personality changes.
3. Induced stroke and coronary heart disease: especially in the elderly or patients with cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, long-term constipation can lead to increased blood pressure and hypoxia, which can easily lead to life-threatening diseases such as cerebral hemorrhage and angina pectoris. Attention.
4. Abdominal distension: Stool stays in the intestine, and the absorption of harmful substances can induce gastrointestinal nerve dysfunction, leading to symptoms such as abdominal distension and loss of appetite.
How to prevent constipation
1. Adjust the diet structure:
Eat more whole grains (oats, corn), vegetables (celery, leeks), and foods that smooth the bowels (honey, sesame, walnuts, yogurt). People with constipation should also drink less strong tea and coffee. Drink more water. When you are constipated, you need to drink 2000-3000 ml of water every day. It is best to drink a large glass of water in the early morning on an empty stomach and then exercise properly to moisten the gastrointestinal tract and soften the stool.
2. Develop good bowel habits
Develop the habit of having regular bowel movements every day. Even if you have no intention of defecation, you still have to go to the toilet regularly. Over time, you can form a habit of reflex defecation. Do not read books or listen to the broadcast during defecation, and you must concentrate.
3. Take medications that cause constipation carefully
The elderly often have multiple organ deficiencies and often take various drugs. Many drugs can have side effects that cause constipation. Such as analgesics, anticholinergics, diuretics, antacids.
4. Exercise moderately
Do some activities within your power according to your age and health status, such as walking, gymnastics, and Tai Chi. When exercise is inconvenient, massage the abdomen 2~3 times a day (clockwise massage for 10 minutes).