A person will encounter constipation several times in his life. I don’t know if you noticed that the discomfort of constipation is really unexplainable. Squatting for a long time, with a dry mouth, a dull body, a short temper, when will this happen. Once the constipation is relieved, I can't tell how comfortable it is. Occasional constipation is not harmful except for causing physical discomfort. However, frequent constipation is harmful to health. The harm of Chinese medicine to constipation has long been discussed. Wang Chong, a well-known health care expert in the Han Dynasty, said, "If you want to live forever, your intestines are always clear; if you want to live without death, there is nothing in your intestines." It means that keeping the stool unobstructed without stagnation can benefit health and longevity. But do everyone know the dangers of long squatting? Let’s take a look.
1. Exacerbate gastrointestinal dysfunction. Stool stays in the intestines for a long time, causing absorption of toxic substances to increase the additional burden on the weakened gastrointestinal digestion function, causing further disorders of the gastrointestinal function, leading to abdominal distension, loss of appetite, bitter mouth, Belching, nausea, etc.
2. Formation of hemorrhoids
When constipation occurs, the pressure of the rectal neck is increased, the venous return is blocked, and the normal anal cushion is enlarged and repeatedly displaced distally. The fibrous interval gradually relaxes until it breaks and is accompanied by venous plexus congestion, expansion, Fusion, even with small arterial and venous fistulas, eventually forms hemorrhoids, also called "hemorrhoids". For people with constipation, it is equivalent to worse.
3. Exacerbate cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases
In elderly patients with constipation and cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, excessive force during defecation will increase blood pressure and increase the body's oxygen consumption, which can easily induce cerebral hemorrhage, angina pectoris, myocardial infarction, and even life-threatening.
Fourth, the formation of abdominal hernia
Abdominal hernia is a common disease in surgery, such as inguinal hernia, femoral hernia, umbilical hernia, incisional hernia, and para-intestinal hernia of the abdominal wall. Such as old age, weakness, abdominal muscle atrophy, poor healing of surgical incisions, excessive force during constipation, sudden increase in intra-abdominal pressure, abdominal internal organs such as the small intestine protruding to the body surface through the weakened part of the abdominal wall, often forming abdominal hernias.
5. Psychological and mental disorders
Mental and psychological factors play a certain role in the onset of constipation. On the contrary, the unhealed constipation has brought great pain to his life, aggravated the mental and psychological trauma, and even felt unhappy. There have been many constipation patients who committed suicide due to unbearable conditions. Some scholars have reported that men with long-term constipation are prone to Parkinson's disease.
6. Damage to beauty
Long-term constipation, re-absorption of harmful substances into the blood, can cause symptoms such as abdominal distension, loss of appetite, bad taste in the mouth, and irritability. In addition, it can also cause rough and dull skin, acne, hyperpigmentation, facial stains and many other diseases that hinder beauty. As constipation gets younger and younger, this hazard is "fatal" for many young women.
The harm of constipation is not only that, it is closely related to the incidence of colorectal cancer, and it also increases the incidence of breast cancer. If you are also a member of the long-squatting family, you should pay attention! Eat more fruits, vegetables, and eat less spicy foods such as peppers and mustard; maintain good bowel habits, do regular levator exercises, etc., and take care of your body. From now on, take defecation problems seriously and no longer fail.
Many people use laxatives for constipation. It is worth mentioning that laxatives cannot be used indiscriminately.
Common laxatives include these types: irritant laxatives, hypertonic laxatives, volumetric laxatives, salt laxatives, lubricants, etc.
1. Stimulant laxatives: These drugs include fruit guide, senna leaf, plantain ovale seed/Plantaria ovata husk/senna fruit (Shulitong), rhubarb sodium bicarbonate (rhubarb soda). They stimulate colonic peristalsis and have bowel movements within 6 to 12 hours, but they can cause adverse reactions such as abdominal pain and water and electrolyte disturbances. But it must be emphasized that it cannot be abused. Long-term use will lead to dependence or even failure of these stimulating drugs. Once these drugs are stopped for patients with constipation, the symptoms of constipation are often aggravated, and long-term use may damage the intestinal ganglia and cause more stubborn constipation. Such preparations contain anthraquinone, and after long-term ingestion, melanin deposits under the colon mucosa, forming the so-called melanosis of the colon.
2. Hypertonic laxatives: For example, sorbitol and lactulose solutions are electrolyte mixtures that are not absorbed by carbohydrates. They can be used by diabetics. They have a mild laxative effect, have a slower effect, soften stools and make them easier to discharge. It can be taken for a long time without drug resistance. Lactulose (Dumic) is taken orally at 15-30ml/d, and it has defecation effect after 24-48h.
3. Volumetric laxatives: Because they contain high molecular weight cellulose and cellulose derivatives, they have the characteristics of hydrophilic and water-absorbing swelling, which can increase the moisture and volume of feces and promote colonic peristalsis. This type of laxative is more suitable for the elderly with a low-residue diet, not only for laxatives, but also for controlling blood lipids and blood sugar and preventing colon cancer. You must drink 240ml of water or juice at the same time when taking it, so as not to block the intestinal cavity and cause intestinal obstruction after swelling.
4. Salt-based laxatives: such as magnesium sulfate and sodium phosphate, due to the effect of osmotic pressure, will quickly increase the moisture content in the stool, and sudden watery diarrhea can occur after half an hour. Such laxatives can cause water and electrolyte disturbances, and are generally not suitable for long-term use as a bowel preparation in hospitals. For those with fecal impaction, feces can be removed by enema. People with renal insufficiency should not use magnesium preparations.
5. Lubricant: Liquid paraffin (paraffin oil) can soften feces. It can be taken orally or enema. It is suitable for the elderly after myocardial infarction or perianal disease surgery to avoid laborious defecation, and it is not effective for drug-induced constipation. Long-term use will affect the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Reminder: Avoid abuse of stimulating laxatives such as fruit guide tablets, otherwise you will eat more and more laxatives, which will aggravate constipation. Patients with long-term constipation should start from many aspects. In the use of laxatives, they should choose mild laxatives that can be used, such as lactulose.
Medicine is only one aspect of treating constipation, other more important ones are:
Establish normal bowel habits and form good habits for regular bowel movements
Regulate intestinal flora
Prevent or avoid the use of drugs that cause constipation
Do not abuse laxatives (avoid regular use of stimulant laxatives)
Drink plenty of water, eat more grains, vegetables, fruits, melons and legumes containing crude fiber
Actively treat systemic and perianal diseases.
Intractable constipation, please go to the hospital for further examination.