Among the many examination items in the anorectal department, digital rectal examination is already a very familiar examination method. For most people, I am afraid that digital rectal examination is just a way to check for anorectal diseases, and it is a supplement to colonoscopy and other examinations. As everyone knows, compared to complex examinations such as colonoscopy, digital rectal examination is the most convenient, effective and harmless method for discovering many diseases.
Digital rectal examination can determine whether there are any lesions in the anus and rectum 7 to 10 cm from the anal margin. Many related diseases can be detected as early as possible through this method. For example, more than 80% of rectal cancers occur within the reach of digital rectal examination, so they are often found during digital rectal examination. In addition to various anorectal diseases such as hemorrhoids, perianal abscesses, anal fistulas, and rectal cancer, digital rectal examination can also find diseases such as prostate diseases, pelvic tumors, and pelvic fractures, all of which have a lot to do with their location.
At the same time, because the rectum is located in the pelvic cavity, it is the end of the large intestine. It connects to the sigmoid colon at the top and the anus at the bottom. There is a bladder in front of the rectum, men also have prostate and seminal vesicle glands, and women have uterus and vagina, so these adjacent organs can be examined through the rectum. The prostate can be touched by the anterior wall of the rectum 4 to 5 cm from the anal margin. The doctor can "touch the rectum" to understand the size, texture, structure of the prostate and whether the patient has tenderness, etc., so as to determine whether the patient has an enlarged prostate or prostatitis. Even early prostate cancer can be found; when women’s pelvic tumors, pelvic abscesses and other lesions invade the rectum within the scope of the digital examination, doctors can assist in the diagnosis of gynecological diseases through digital rectal examination; and for some patients with pelvic fractures, if the sacrum If there is obvious tenderness, the doctor can "touch" the end of the fracture through a digital rectal examination and quickly find the hidden fracture.
When these situations occur, a digital rectal examination should be done in time.
1. Changes in stool characteristics: When there are abnormalities in the excreted stool, such as thinning of the stool, blood and mucus in the stool, a digital rectal examination is required, because more than 80% of patients with rectal cancer are usually accompanied by changes in stool characteristics. Pus even appeared. Therefore, when there is a change in stool characteristics, don't take it lightly.
2. Changes in bowel habits: For normal people, bowel movements have a certain regularity, but when diseases of the anus and rectum, such as rectal cancer, change in bowel habits, that is, the number of bowel movements with no obvious cause in a short period of time Increased or alternating constipation and diarrhea, or a feeling of incomplete defecation.
3. Hemorrhoids: It is said that ten men have nine hemorrhoids and ten women have ten hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids is a common anal disease in life. In severe cases, hemorrhoids may protrude from the anus and have blood in the stool, which is easily confused with rectal cancer. Therefore, when a prolapsed mass is found, whether or not you have had hemorrhoids before, when a prolapsed anal mass occurs, a digital rectal examination is required to avoid misdiagnosis.
There is no need to worry about the digital rectal examination. In order to better cooperate with the doctor in the digital rectal examination and reduce their discomfort, patients need to pay attention to the following issues and make preparations before the examination.
1. Eat a light diet before the inspection. It is not advisable to over-eat spicy and greasy irritating foods to avoid affecting the inspection results.
Second, try to defecate once before the examination, so as not to affect the effect of digital examination.
3. Those with anal fissures should inform the doctor in advance to prevent the pain from getting worse during the examination.
4. If there is pain or discomfort during the examination, please inform the doctor in time so that the doctor can judge the disease.