Acorus calamus is divided into three types: Acorus calamus, Acorus calamus, and Acorus calamus. They are derived from different plants and have different functions and indications. The prices of the three medicinal materials on the market are quite different: Jiechangpu 32-34 yuan/kg; Shichangpu 8-9 yuan/kg; Shuichangpu 3-4 yuan/kg. Some pharmacies sell three kinds of calamus mixed with each other, so you should pay attention to the difference when using them.
The three are the easiest to distinguish from the medicinal materials. The knot calamus is thin with a diameter of 0.3～0.7cm; the stone calamus is 0.3～1cm in diameter; the water iris is the thickest, with a diameter of 1～1.5cm.
The chemical difference between the three: Take 1g of each powder, soak in 10ml of ether for 20 minutes, take the extract and place it on filter paper, and observe under ultraviolet light (254nm) after drying: Acorus japonicus shows light green fluorescence; Shichangpu shows purple red Fluorescence; Shuichangpu shows blue-purple fluorescence.
The "Compendium" says: "Acorus is a prosperous calamus, so it is called calamus." This product grows on the banks of the water, hence the name Shuichangpu.
Efficacy: Resolve phlegm and resuscitate, remove dampness and invigorate the stomach, kill insects and relieve itching.
Indications: phlegm syncope, coma, stroke, epilepsy, dizziness, tinnitus, palpitations, forgetfulness, chest and abdomen distension, stomach pain, diarrhea, diarrhea, arthralgia, scabies, eczema.
Materia Medica (transfer):
1. "Medicinal Properties Test": "Removes dampness, heals wind, removes scabies, and can kill insects. Juice makes realgar, orpiment, and arsenic poison."
2. "Lingnan Medicine Collection": "Invigorate the stomach and dehumidify, decoct water to wash scabies."
3. "Commonly used Chinese herbal medicine in Shanghai": "Sedation and tranquility, phlegm and stomach. Treat epilepsy, tinnitus, hearing loss, chest and abdomen distension."
4. "Jilin Chinese Herbal Medicine": "Fragrance to relieve the orifice, and Zhongpizhuo. Cure dizziness, tinnitus, forgetfulness, dampness and stagnation."
5. "Handbook of Commonly Used Chinese Herbal Medicine in Northern China": "It can invigorate the body, wake up the mind and relieve pain. Indications of confusion, epilepsy, stroke, diarrhea, indigestion, abdominal distension, cramping abdominal pain."
6. "Shaanxi Chinese Herbal Medicine": "Diuresis, invigorating the spleen and stomach, attending night blindness, chronic gastroenteritis, physical weakness and swelling."
7. "Shanxi Chinese Herbal Medicine": "Indications of rubella itching, genital eczema."
8. "Qingdao Handbook of Chinese Herbal Medicine": "Indications for rheumatoid arthritis, hemorrhoids, pinworms, forgetfulness, and palpitations."
9. "National Compilation of Chinese Herbal Medicine": "Indications of phlegm and salivation, unclear consciousness, chronic bronchitis, dysentery, enteritis, abdominal distension, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, wind, cold and dampness."
10. "Guangxi National Medicine Compendium": "Rhizome decocted in water to treat nocturnal emission, turbidity, and leucorrhea; soaked in wine to treat splenomegaly."
Usage and dosage: Oral administration: decoction, 3-6g; or into pills or powder. External use: proper amount, decoct and wash or grind and apply.
Caution for use: Those with yin deficiency and yang hyperactivity, excessive sweating, fine slippery patients, take it with caution.
Ancient literature said that calamus was "good for one inch and nine knots", so this product also has the name of calamus, but the rhizome of Altai anemone, a ranunculaceae plant, is currently used as calamus in northern China.
Warm and spicy
Efficacy to resuscitate and resolve phlegm, soothe the spleen and calm the mind
Indications: epilepsy, phlegm, faint fever, forgetfulness, dysfunction, deafness, heart dysfunction, stomach pain, abdominal pain, wind-cold dampness, ulceration, swelling and poison, bruises
It is derived from the dry rhizomes of Acorus calamus.
It is warm in nature, pungent and bitter in taste, and has the effect of reducing dampness and appetizing, resuscitating and eliminating phlegm, soothing mind and improving intelligence.